Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fabric Fast 2012

There is no such thing as "too much fabric."  There's just not.  If you believe there is, come on over to my house to meet Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.  My kids are keeping them as pets in our back yard.

Unfortunately, I do believe there is such a thing as "too little space" and even more unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I've reached that point.

Back in January, I decided it was time to collect all of the fabric that I had stashed in various places around my house (I sew in my dining room, so lots there... my home office has a day bed, so it got piled there... the guest / play room closet was supposed to be my fabric & craft storage closet, so oodles more there).  I folded it, sorted it and put it all back in the closet where it's supposed to live.  The jury's still out on whether that was the best possible move or the worst possible move.  Here's how it looks when it's all in one place:



Oh, and in these places (and perhaps a few more not pictured):





OK, so maybe it's a lot of fabric.  But it's certainly not too much fabric, right?  (Right???)  Look how it's so nicely sorted by color (for the most part).  

(Am I the only one who thinks "well organized" or "color coded" are valid justifications for pretty much anything?)

Pinks, purples, whites, blacks, reds, yellows and oranges.


Greens, browns and blues.


Novelty fabrics and "sets" of matchy-match prints.


Alas, I have decided that 2012 is a year of "simplicity" for me... for making the most of what I have and of saving money for some (TBD) big and really exciting thing I've always wanted.  Granite kitchen counter tops?  A trip to Costa Rica?  Fully funded pre-paid college accounts for my kids?  I guess I have some time to decide. 

To that end, I have declared a Fabric Fast for the calendar year 2012.  (Ouch... it hurts to put that in print!) I am allowed to buy batting, thread and other quilting supplies, but I am not allowed to buy any fabric.  The only exception is if I am requested (by a friend or family member) to make a project with something very specific which I do not have, I am allowed to buy fabric for that but only for that.  (Not 2 extra yards that will end up in my stash.)  

I am determined to find new ways to be creative with what I already have... try some of those stash-buster and scrap-buster patterns I've been admiring for years... clean out all this fabric that (in some cases) I don't even remember buying... make room for all the fabric I will surely buy on January 1, 2013 after my Fabric Fast officially ends!

I am low on a few colors -- blacks and orange, in particular.  I will try to find some "fabric swaps" (I'm sure those things exist, right?) to do a little trading.  I have a few projects in mind that are going to require at least some scraps in those colors.  (If anyone knows about fabric swaps, please leave me a comment to let me know!)

Has anyone ever gone on a Fabric Fast?  How did it go?  How long did you last?


PS -- To my family, friends and/or anyone inclined to send me a "just because I love you" gift ---- fabric would make my day!! Just sayin.... 


~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~