Wednesday, April 18, 2012

H2H 2012 Flimsy Complete!

Have y'all seen the Hands 2 Help Charity Quilt Challenge over on Sarah's blog?  If not, go take a look, there's still plenty of time to make a quilt for one (or both!) of two awesome charities!


I'm happy to have finished my flimsy, which I'll be donating to Happy Chemo.  Due to my 2012 Fabric Fast, I used all stash fabrics for this quilt.  I don't usually name my quilts but if I did, this one would be called "Comedy of Errors."  Oh well.... the flimsy is done and both of my daughters (ages 5 and 8) have asked if they could keep it, so I feel pretty confident that some little girl will really like it, even if the blocks aren't all completely square and it has a border I never intended to add.  But I digress....


I was inspired to use the Hidden 9 Patch pattern when I saw a great butterfly quilt in this post on Sarah's blog.  It looked so cheerful that I knew I wanted to try it.  She sent me a photo of one she'd made with only 2 colors on the sides so I opted for that approach.


I started with these 5" blocks.
I actually used 2 blue princess prints - the one you see here and one that has a smaller (but coordinating) print.  Didn't have enough of either one in the stash for a whole quilt, so I combined the two of them.

And came up with this.


Here's a close-up that shows the colors a little better. You can see both blue princess prints here.
I'll take pics in better lighting once the whole quilt is complete.

I'm not yet sure what I'll back it with.  Back to the stash to find some more fabrics to piece together!  The blue in the border was supposed to be used for the binding, but the quilt wasn't quite big enough so it became a border.  I think I'll aim for a bright pink binding now, if I can find some in my stash.  

I'm also not sure how I'll quilt this.  I'd like to practice my FMQ, but I'm not sure what color thread I'd use.  I'd also like to play with the painter's tape straight line quilting technique.  But alas, some of my seams are off so I'll probably opt for stitching in the ditch, since I think that helps bury (and hide) some of the imperfect corners.

Hoping to have the backing done and have this all sandwiched together for quilting by the end of the weekend.




~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

2 comments:

  1. Your disappearing 9 patch quilt is beautiful!
    What is a flimsy?
    I've seen that on another blog and didn't know what it was.
    I'm hosting a Comfort Quilts Bee this Saturday for quilting friends. We'll be making quilts that will be donated to Project Linus.
    It's always fun to get together with other quilters especially when we are making quilts that will bring joy to children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, thanks for stopping by! I just learned what a flimsy was a few weeks ago. Before that I just called it "the quilt top" - but "flimsy" is the same thing and quicker to type :-)

      I love making quilts to donate for kids but I usually give mine through a friend who has a support group for parents grieving the loss of a child. They usually come in by special request but I'm hoping to make and donate some more this year to Linus or other organizations, too.

      Delete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~