Monday, July 9, 2012

Missing: My Willpower

If you've visited me here before, you might know I made a resolution to not buy any new fabric in 2012, unless it was specifically requested by someone who needed something very specific.  I intended that to apply to charity quilts and special requests only, and even then only if absolutely necessary. 

But then I ran out of batting.  

Already you can see where this is headed, right?

A few days ago I posted about a little hexagon baby quilt I wanted to make.  The pattern I came up with would have a green background and pink flowers -- dark pink centers with light pink petals.  I mentioned in that post the challenge of finding enough coordinating greens in my stash, especially since greens are so hard to match.

So yesterday I was at Joann's to buy batting.  And only batting.  With a 50% off coupon.

On my way to the register, I noticed this sweet little bundle, which had 2 lovely greens (and 3 lovely blues).  It was 30% off.  Did I mention I also had a "20% off your entire purchase" coupon?  


My 9 year old daughter - who knows I'm trying hard not to buy fabric - was with me.  As I was caressing looking at this little bundle, she leaned over and said, "Don't worry Mom, I won't tell anyone.  You deserve it."  I *so* love that kid! 

I knew those 2 little fat quarters wouldn't be enough for my entire background, but I did have some green at home already.  Then I saw one other single FQ in a pretty paisley.  OK, it's just one more, right?


Oh my gosh, they had purple bundles too!  I had toyed with the idea of doing green and purple for the background of the quilt and how sweet are those??  And hey, I don't want to break the fast more than once, so I might as well enjoy it now, right?


Wait, a Fat Eights of pinks?  That would be enough to do *all* the hexie flowers for the quilt.  Lights and darks.  They look so nice with the green and purple, too.  And come on... how often do I find a 30% off sale *and* have a 20% off everything coupon?  


I can probably stop adding commentary now, since you probably realize by now this is not going to end anytime soon....

A few more light pinks for the petals, just in case.

Just to be on the safe side with the darker pink....


What does a beige FQ bundle have to do with the hexagon baby quilt you ask?  Not a thing.  But at this point, I was already so far over the line it didn't seem to matter, really.


One last fun little bundle because, well, it had a ladybug on it.  No other reason is required.



In case you're wondering what a a "Fabric Fast" looks like, well.... here you go.
*sigh*




~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

Thanks for stopping by!
~ Kat ~

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you showed great restraint,LOL.
    Enjoy that gorgeous fabric.
    X Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry...I hear they have a support group for you; in fact I belong to it!! And, no one will fault you for buying a ladybug fabric, least of all me! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a riot! So fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so cracking up at your post! And may I also say that I can definitely see that there was some "twisting of your arm" by those folks at Joann's........they were practically "MAKING" you buy that stuff.......how can you resist 30% off PLUS 20% off the entire ticket?? Case closed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. This was an awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Were you by any chance laughing hysterically by the time you reached the till?! As I buy the vast majority of my fabric over the internet, my weakest moment is after a glass of wine. Or sometimes during....

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOLLLLLLLL Seems a lot of people including ME, have your problem.
    I've refused to go into town to do any kind of shopping at the moment because I just know I will somehow end up in a fabric store.
    Love your fabrics. Like your daughter said, you deserve it, we all do. LOLLL

    ReplyDelete
  8. check your paypal account ----- my way of helping you help others

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~