Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Kat Quilt - Block 5

My maiden name is "Valentine" and my favorite color is pink.  Need I say more about this one?


I did learn something else on this block, though, which may have occurred to all of you 4 blocks ago.... 

I had been adding fabric to the outsides of the patchwork, to make the bottom layer the same size as the top layer (12.5"), even though it wouldn't show through to the front.  

This is from my 2nd block.  I completed the piecing I'd need to show through the opening on the front, then added solid around the edge to make the block 12.5".

See the black stitching line?  Only the inside of that shows through to the front.  All the extra fabric around the edge is hidden and would just add bulk to the seam lines once I start sewing these blocks into rows.

I realized that probably wasn't necessary, I only needed enough fabric to fill the opening plus my 1/4" seam around the stitching.  After all, there are plenty of other 1/4" seams laying nicely on the back of every "regular" quilt block I make.  Why should this be any different?  


This certainly reduced the amount of time it took to make this block. It'll also help out on future blocks which have more than one opening on them and will need different fabrics under each.  

I'll probably go back and trim the "extra" off the back of the first 4 blocks at some point, too.  I think leaving the full layer on the back will just add bulk to the seams, which I don't need. 

I'll continue to share 2 blocks per week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) until they're all done.... 15 more to go!

Here are the other blocks: Block 1 --- Block 2 --- Block 3 --- Block 4


~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~ 

 Thanks for stopping by! 
~ Kat ~

3 comments:

  1. I love the "learn as you go" method! You really should think about making a tutorial for your blocks. Quilters could come up with blocks special to them but save time by following your tips. I am so looking forward to seeing this quilt completed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Block by Block...it's coming together and I can't wait to see the finished quilt, XOXO

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~