Friday, November 2, 2012

Zig Zags for Phoenix

The day after my birthday, my husband gave me one of the best gifts.... 3 hours of "alone" time so I could get some sewing done!  Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and my kids very much... but what a great treat for him to take them out for a few hours so I could do nothing but sew!

I have had a terrible fear of HSTs for a long time now so when my friend Corynn (aka, Phoenix) admired a quilt I had made for my sister, I knew that making a HST quilt for her would be the perfect time to overcome my fear.  After all, Phoenix was the woman who ran 8.3 miles with me in the cold, pouring rain in the middle of the night after our teammate passed away during the race I ran in New York last month.  There's a picture of us together over here (it's the photo with the "22" sign).  If anyone deserves a "have no fear" quilt, it's Phoenix!

Phoenix (yes, I really call her that) just bought a new house (yes, in Phoenix).  She told me her bedroom has black furniture and white bedding and she hasn't decided on any "real" colors yet.  I went online and purchased some pre-cut 4" charm squares (3 packs of 40 each) and started sewing.  


Some of these fabrics read as "obviously black" and some as "obviously white."  A few were a bit ambiguous  but had to go into the "white" pile since I didn't have enough "obviously whites" in this mix.

Using this quilt as my inspiration, I started making HSTs and arranged them into a zig-zag pattern.


It's not big enough yet.  It only measures 36" x 42" right now.  There is a thin black border then a border of black with tiny white dots.  I'm planning to add another black border and have ordered two more packages of the charm squares to use as more border.  I'm making this one up as I go along... though that seems to be pretty much how all my quilts come together.  

I've decided I like the look of HSTs (so many options for arranging them!) but I'm not in any hurry to make more.  They were a bit bulky to put together, but overall my points lined up fairly well and the "off" spots are hidden by the fact that the prints are busy and are only 2 colors.  (I don't think I would be as satisfied if I was using a solid or anything with more contrast.)

This isn't a finish so I'm not linking up anywhere today, but be sure to visit some of the other great projects going on at these awesome Friday linky parties:


Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for "Whoop Whoop Friday"
Karen at Sew Many Ways for "Find a Friend Friday"
Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts for "Finish It Up Friday"



~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~ 

 Thanks for stopping by! 
~ Kat ~

3 comments:

  1. I love this quilt! Thanks for the link. I just finished a small project with half square triangle and like the different arrangements that can be created. Looking forward to your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never seem to make anything directly like a pattern either! I love the way this is coming together. Phoenix will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Zig Zag quilt, especially how the black and white prints blend and sometimes the design kind of hides.....very cool!

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~