Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Baby Clothes Quilt for Jack

What is it with me and memory quilts? I love saying "yes" when friends ask me to make them, but I can't seem to get my act together to actually finish them for years. Yes, years. Shame on me!
 
 
Shannon sent me a box full of her son's baby clothes well over 2 years ago (probably closer to 3). I put them into my craft closet and you know what they say --- out of sight, out of mind. This quilt only took 8 or 10 hours to complete (once I finally got started).... it's getting started I can't seem to get very good at!
 
The clothes she sent ranged in size from newborn to about 24 months, so the sizes varied greatly.  She also included a few burp clothes (which were great for filling in "blank" spaces) and one itty bitty little bib.  There were t-shirts, sweatshirts, terrycloth, fleece and nylon items.  They all got a layer of fusible interfacing on the back (Pellon lightweight) before I cut them to size.  The size and layout of the quilt was dictated completely by the clothes!
 
Here are a few of my favorites:
 
This happy little crab was on the side of some nylon swim trunks.
 
 
I saved the Harley Davidson tag from the inside of a little fleece jacket and sewed it in the upper left corner of the gray block.  A cute little 3-D effect, I think.
 
 
The center part of this block was a tiny little bib, round at the bottom.  I had to improvise (with pieces from a matching onesie) to bring it up to a block size.
 
 
I really wanted to use the Calvin Klein logo from this shirt, but it was in an odd spot to cut out, so I just used the shirt with the buttons, pockets and all.  I sewed the main opening closed (down the middle), but it still looks functional.
 
 
Here's another little shirt I left in tact (right).  I was short by one block so I added a "J" (made from the Calvin Klein shirt, above) to a gray square cut from the back of another onesie.
 
 
This was from a tiny little swim shirt that went with the itty bitty swim trunks.  So adorable!
 
 
I was so excited to have this completed and (finally) in the mail that I didn't take any pictures of the back.  You're not missing much, though... I just used plain black fleece.  I stitched in the ditch on every seam between all the blocks.  I used cotton batting in the middle, because I don't think I could have gotten it through my machine (fleece + thicker batting + sweatshirts in some of the top blocks + interfacing) otherwise.  I sewed the entire thing (piecing and quilting) with my walking foot.  What a difference that made in the assembly!  On all the previous t-shirt quilts I've made, I just used a regular foot for piecing.  Never again --- the walking foot makes a night and day difference!
 
This little guy measures 54"x32" after washing.



~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~
 
Thanks for stopping by!
~ Kat ~

2 comments:

  1. "Yoyo ", last week, baby clothes to a quilt this week, love the crab, and all others, super size, I'm sure he and his Mum specially will love it. Hugs,Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! Couldn't you steal the "ruff day" patch for me? I'm sure the little boy and his Mom will love it. What great memories!
    Pugs and kisses,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~